7 Things You Should NEVER Do to Other People
Just because you could do something doesn't mean that you should do it.
As I was waiting for my order from a crowded restaurant, the man in front of me had to pay his $76 bill. The only problem was that the manager who was already shorthanded of employees had to stop everything he was doing to count the change.
In the man's over-sized purse contained many coins of small denominations.
With a nefarious laugh, he curtly demanded the manager, "Count it!" As the line continued to build, the manager sweated profusely as he handled the coins.
Then a bunch of them fell on the floor.
Surely, the man with the diabolical intent wasn't adding any value to his community but rather was corrupting it. Indeed, there's a lot of things that we could do, but shouldn't do. Here are 7 of them:
1. Be Disrespectful: There's always time to be nice, even if you're having a bad day or stuck in traffic. If you disrespect people by showing a lack of courtesy, you will be doing more harm than good. Those who cause havoc by sharing their contempt with others will seldom go far.
2. Discourage: I once overheard an elderly man telling a young woman that she shouldn't pursue going into business for herself. He mentioned the risks and her lack of experience. As I watched her shiny eyes instantaneously grow dimmer, I couldn't help but encourage her, but it was too late. She believed him.
3. Delegate Our Responsibilities: There are many instances where people delegate tasks to others that they should be doing themselves. For instance, the man who had the purse of loose coins could have easily went to the bank and turned his change into cash. Don't make others do what you can do for yourself.
Let everyone sweep the front of his own door, and the whole world will be clean.--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
4. Criticize Others: Yesterday, I was having a smooth conversation with a man who was inspired from my talk. After about 5 minutes, he told me that he thought 'so and so' was a bad candidate for presidency. He went on to slay a number of people in media, which was highly unnerving to me. Don't criticize.
5. Complain: Everyone wants to share their opinions to see if they will be accepted by others. Unfortunately, since most people think negatively, these complaints can subtly destroy other human beings. Therefore, it is best to speak less and listen more. If there's nothing good to say, just listen instead.
6. Manipulate Communication: In business, there seems to be a lot of people who will mix up their communication. They will go by 'hearsay' and messages will be misconstrued. It is essential for you to be clear, articulate, and direct when it comes to dealing with people, especially difficult ones.
7. Be Jealous: There's an overwhelming amount of people who want to have what others have. Jealousy causes them great pain and anguish which could easily be avoided. Instead of building hate, just work on your own goals and do your best. You'll never have what another person has, nor should you want it.
A lack of love is the root of all evil. It takes the same effort to love than it takes to hate. Just apply yourself and treat people the way they ought to be treated. Love cures all pains.