Think about your daily habits--Does it make you or break you?
The difference between who you are and who you want to be will be in your habits. When you feel better about yourself, you'll do a better job at work. First, you make your habits, then your habits make you.
Most people don't have strong habits. They have routines and go through the motions. Many of these routines do not strengthen their cause or propels them forward. What you need are powerful habits that makes you better everyday.
“Sow a thought, and you reap an act;
Sow an act, and you reap a habit;
Sow a habit, and you reap a character;
Sow a character, and you reap a destiny.”
Truly, we become what we repeatedly do. To feel better about yourself, you need to do these 5 daily habits, no matter who you are:
1. Exercise: How are you doing in the physical department? Most people are slacking here and they still want success. You should be exercising everyday if you want the endurance to keep up with your grind. Leaders are fit and always able to do the task at hand. It will instantly make you feel better.
I have a workout buddy who helped me get a 6-pack. He told me, "Abs are made in the kitchen." When I changed my diet and exercise habits, my success and happiness skyrocketed. There isn't a day where I don't run for at least 2 miles. It also gives me the ideas and inspiration to write these articles that you love!
2. Read Inspirational Material: People ask me all the time, "How do you stay motivated all day long?" It's easy. If you read inspirational material for at least 30 minutes every day, you will cultivate an unshakable persona. All the books in the world have all the answers in the world.
Leaders are readers. If you're putting in the time to gain new insights and wisdom to apply on your daily efforts, you will have an edge in life. Of course, it's best to read spiritual, inspirational, autobiographies, and any other practical or non-fiction books. Having knowledge makes you feel better.
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
― Jim Rohn
3. Work on Your Craft: To be a successful leader, you need to outwork and out learn everyone else in your industry. There are nuances in your craft that can be developed everyday. You have to carve time out of your schedule to refine your skills. Every one has a gift of some kind that can be developed.
Every day, I am practicing my speeches. I know them very well and if you heard me, you wouldn't even think that there are things that I could do better. However, I know what I need to improve upon and it feels good to make these gradations of improvements. After all, that's how I got here in the first place!
“The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too strong to be broken.” ― Samuel Johnson
4. Think and Plan: Surprisingly, the vast majority of people don't take the time to think and plan. You need a solid hour to do this everyday. We all have this precious hour. Most people use this time to do miscellaneous and unfocused activities, yet they still tell everyone that they are 'busy.'
One of my favorite parts of my day is when I write my goals down and take the time to reflect in my journal. It alleviates me tremendously and allows me to count my blessings. Taking the time to think and plan is the only way you can live successfully without making rash and impulse decisions.
5. Contribute: My famous question, "How do I deliver more value to more people in a shorter amount of time?" has been one of the greatest ways for me to increase my level of contribution. Successful leaders know that it's not about them, but about those they lead. They give first, even if they have to sacrifice.
The secret of living is giving. If you give yourself away, there will always be blessings in return. The more seeds you plant, the bigger your harvest will be. Find new ways to give of yourself and you will start expanding in unprecedented ways. Nothing feels better than contributing.
Some of these habits may be enduring, but if you continue on with them, you will feel better about yourself. You have to keep up with these habits, no matter how exhausted you are. Once you get into the flow by developing these amazing habits, nothing in the world will stop you from achieving extraordinary success!